NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!Job Description
A vision born on a chairlift, tested in the sand, proven on the urban streets. Skullcandy embodies exclusive designs by some of today’s most notorious artists, fused with team-inspired, state-of-the-art technology in both function and form, remixed to a thumping beat. Our Skullcandy family consists of the “best of the best” from the action sports industry. We are vibrant, outgoing, intelligent employees who work hard and play harder.
The Creative Director is charged with determining the best ways for us to visually represent our company’s identity online, in print and at retail. The right candidate will be able to lead a team that drives the development of high-level concepts for design projects, works with internal and external clients, pitches designs, and, ultimately, defines how Skullcandy looks as a brand.
• Lead creative sessions for project kick-offs.
• Manage multiple projects from multiple concept generation through completion with a team of internal and/or external designers.
• Develop creative programs and design concepts that meet the business objectives of the organization and that advance our brand strategy.
• Establish creative direction for the entire brand presentation at retail, online and in print.
• Work with the brand team, sports marketing team, retail marketing team, PR, social media, interactive and marketing operations to develop concepts and present to leadership.
• Manage, lead and inspire team members in creative (authority) as well as product and marketing (influence).
• Provide quality control over concepts and projects.
• Understand Skullcandy’s strategic goals and brand; analyze the creative team, environment, processes, technologies, etc., to determine areas needing improvement; and build and direct a creative function aligned with and supportive of those goals.
• Set expectations and standards (build a culture) for creative team attitude, behavior, teamwork and professional development. Lead accordingly.
• Assure that timely and informative communication takes place between the creative function and other relevant business partners.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
• Bachelor’s degree in Fine Arts or equivalent visual design and management experience.
• At least 5 years management experience working with large-scale web sites, e-marketing, and advertising.
• Must possess a thorough understanding of interactive communications and delivery systems, processes, and user interface design as well as industry best practices for digital.
• Must understand limitations and opportunities in both print design and retail environment design and execution.
• Knowledge of layouts, graphic fundamentals, typography & limitations of the web and in print; must have the ability to storyboard or translate ideas to designers, PMs and developers.
• A strong working knowledge of experience design, brand development, interactive commerce and creative process are required.
• Print and web design capabilities: must know how to work in both media for integrated campaigns.
• Ability to lead projects from concept to completion.
• Apply best practices in user interface and interactive design, including image optimization and site mapping for digital.
• Experience with software such as Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign & Flash are required.
• Experience with Adobe AfterEffects & video editing (a plus) preferred for this position.
• Basic knowledge of HTML, DHTML CSS, Actionscript & Drupal also preferred.
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
• Ability to supervise, train and inspire employees, to include organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work assignments.